Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Short but enjoyable


Well i managed to get out in the strong gusty NW. Fighting some lack of boat work as well as an emerging migrane, I stepped my new "HM" mast and new "HM" boom, which was pretty quick and easy. I did fight with the cams to suit the mast, struggling to keep them on. Not really sure if this was technique or incorrect setup???

After a bit of mucking around in the water, i finally managed to keep them on and got up and foiling straight away. I was pretty pumped to see what these things could do in some breeze. I had a great first reach down the bay and with a little rudder tweaking found it to be a completely different feeling to the 18 in that breeze.

I think the flat water definately made it easy, but it was amazing to feel the green machine just continue to accelerate. Unfortunately i started to run out of water and had to turn around and go upwind.

Man i need some fitness work.

As i packed up my boat and drove home i can see how people get hooked on these machines.
My brain was buzzing with a million ideas on how to make it faster and less drag, now just have to find the hours to really get into it.

1 comment:

Grant said...

Hi Chris,
I have the same trouble with my cams as well.

The solution I found is to pull on the vang, before i hook up the cunno. With the vang on I find the cams don't pop off as easy.

Before I tip the boat in the water my sail is near full trim so the water over the sail does not induce the cams to come off.

Hope this helps

Grant